Working On Your Essay
Introduction: (150 words)
1. State your central claim
Society will be in anarchy if the
For example a murder can claim to have gotten pleasure out of killing someone – society cannot function if individuals perceptive view of pleasure are deemed morally correct. Another example is the act of rape were it is seen as a pleasurable act for the individual performing the act however this 2. two arguments used to support the claim.
3. Introduce the counter argument
4. give a summary of your responses and your conclusion
2. Argument Number 1: Develop the first supporting argument to defend your central claim. Provide evidence and cite authoritative sources (500 words).
3. Argument Number 2: Develop the second supporting argument to defend your central claim. Provide evidence and cite authoritative sources (500 words).
4. Counter argument: Describe the main counter argument to the position you are defending in Argument Numbers 1 & 2. State why you think that the counter argument does not impact significantly on your central claim (500 words).
5. Conclusion: Give a brief summary by reiterating the two (2) arguments you have used to support your central claim and provide a summary statement that describes what you think is the main strength of your supporting arguments. Use a description such as “it is compelling,” or “it is highly likely,” or “it is appropriately reasonable” to summarise why the reader should accept the proposition you have made in the essay (150 words).
NB. Full citation and referencing must be used in your essay. It does not matter what style of referencing you use as long as you are consistent.
NB: No more than 1 internet site (URL) can be used for each argument and at least 1 journal article or book must also be cited for each section.
Things I’ve generally told students on first essay feedback:
Please join StudyMode to read the full document