Assessment Brief 2012/2013
Unit Title: Being An Economist
Unit Code: 404Z0012
Miss Hannah Witchard
Telephone No: 0161-247-3897
Room Number: 4.41
Feedback Return Date:
Business Report – Analysis of the Business Environment
Learning Outcomes Covered
Unit Specification The unit learning outcomes this assignment assesses are that students will Outline the factors influencing the development of economic thought and distinguish the reasons for continuing controversy in Economics Distinguish the contending perspectives on key policy issues in modern economic and business life.
No Of Elements: 1
Feedback Return Information
Click here to enter information
Feedback sheets and grades will be returned to students via their student emails
As an employee of a specific firm e.g. British Airways, Morrisons etc. write a business report analysing the firms’ current business environment. You must use appropriate tools of analysis to examine the environment your chosen firm operates in. (4,000 words + or – 10%) Report format
Your report should be word processed, have a cover sheet, a contents page, page numbers and be clearly structured using headings. The standard of English should be appropriate to a business setting, with correct spelling and grammar and formal in style.
For this report, you should use non-personal language i.e. do not use ‘I’, ‘We’ or ‘You’. The following example should explain this more clearly:
Here is an extract of writing which uses 'I', 'We' and 'You': I think that this report has major flaws as it only looked at hospitals in one area of the country. You can see that this is a problem as the report was supposed to consider the cleanliness of hospitals throughout the country.
Here is an extract that implies the same opinions but does not use 'I', 'We' or 'You': The report by smith et al cannot be used to draw conclusions about the cleanliness of hospitals throughout the country as it only focuses on investigating hospitals in one region.
Content – NOTE these headings are for guidance only, students can change the headings to suit their own style and content. 1. Introduction Write a brief paragraph explaining the purpose of the report.
2. Company Overview Briefly outline the profile of your chosen company and industry overview/features.
3. Analysis Tools Select appropriate tools of analysis to effectively analyse the business environment of your firm. This may include LEPESTC, SWOT and/or Porters Five Forces. Ensure you include examples and supporting data from your firm throughout and consider the relevance/importance of any points you make. Make sure you reference any sources fully and use the Harvard Referencing system.
4. Statistical Analysis Using relevant statistical techniques perform an analysis of your firms’ business environment. Represent the data in an appropriate and clear style e.g. pie charts, bar charts etc.
5. Recommendations Based on your analysis of the business environment, how can the firm capitalise on future opportunities to enhance their success? What are the key areas for focus over the next six to twelve months? It may be appropriate to highlight a maximum of three recommendations.
6. Conclusion Write a final paragraph summarising the key points of the report, limitations of the analysis and possible future extensions to the report focus for continued development of the business.
Source: Pears, R and Shields, G (2010). Palgrave Study Skills. Cite them Right. The Essential Referencing Guide. 8th ed. Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan. p.1-3...
Bibliography: Griffiths A and Wall S (2011). Applied Economics. 12th ed. London: Financial Times/Prentice Hall. p.1-2
Referencing a chapter of a book
Sloman, J and Wride, A. (2009). Money and Interest Rates. In: Economics. 7th ed. London: Financial Times/Prentice Hall. p.502-531.
Griffiths A and Wall S (2011). Applied Economics. 12th ed. London: Financial Times/Prentice Hall.
Sloman, J Garratt, D and Hinde, K (2010). Economics for Business and CWG Pack. 5th ed. London: Financial Times/Prentice Hall.
Cottrell S (2008)
Please join StudyMode to read the full document